Followers

Saturday 8 January 2022

Sheryl Crow Tribute EP

All I Wanna Do

All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die says the man next to me out of nowhere
It's apropos of nothing He says his name's William but I'm sure,
He's Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy and he's plain ugly to me
And I wonder if he's ever had a day of fun in his whole life
We are drinking beer at noon on Tuesday in a bar that faces a giant car wash
The good people of the world are washing their cars
On their lunch break, hosing and scrubbing as best they can in skirts in suits
They drive their shiny Datsuns and Buicks
Back to the phone company, the record store too
Well, they're nothing like Billy and me, cause

All I wanna do is have some fun I got a feeling I'm not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun I got a feeling I'm not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard

I like a good beer buzz early in the morning and Billy likes to peel the labels
From his bottles of Bud He shreds them on the bar
Then he lights every match in an oversized pack
Letting each one burn down to his thick fingers before blowing and cursing them out
And he's watching the bottles of Bud as they spin on the floor
And a happy couple enters the bar dangerously close to one another
The bartender looks up from his want ads

Otherwise the bar is ours,
The day and the night and the car wash too
The matches and the Buds and the clean and dirty cars
The sun and the moon but

If It Makes You Happy

I've been long, a long way from here put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank until I was thirsty again we went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo and Benny Goodman's corset and pen
Well, o.k. I made this up I promised you I'd never give up
If it makes you happy it can't be that bad
If it makes you happy then why the hell are you so sad

You get down, real low down you listen to Coltrane, derail your own train
Well who hasn't been there before I come round, around the hard way
Bring you comics in bed, scrape the mold off the bread and serve you french toast again
Well, o.k. I still get stoned I'm not the kind of girl you'd take home
If it makes you happy it can't be that bad
If it makes you happy then why the hell are you so sad

We've been far, far away from here put on a poncho, played for mosquitos
And everywhere in between well, o.k. we get along
So what if right now everything's wrong?
If it makes you happy it can't be that bad
If it makes you happy then why the hell are you so sad

Soak Up The Sun

My friend the communist holds meetings in his RV
I can't afford his gas so I'm stuck here watching TV
I don't have digital I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want it's wanting what you've got

I'm gonna soak up the sun gonna tell everyone to lighten up
I'm gonna tell them that I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame I'm looking up
I'm gonna soak up the sun I'm gonna soak up the sun
While it's still free I'm gonna soak up the sun before it goes out on me
I got my 45 on so I can rock on

I've got a crummy job it don't pay near enough
To buy the things it takes to win me some of your love
Every time I turn around I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you that makes you act the way you do

Don't have no master suite but I'm still the king of me
You have a fancy ride, but I'm the one who has the key
Every time I turn around I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you
That makes you act the way you do maybe I am crazy too

Woman In The White House

Don't you think it's time we put a woman in the White House with a whole new attitude
We could use a little female common sense down on Pennsylvania Avenue
After 230-something years of waiting it's way past overdue
I think it's time we put a woman in the White House how about you?

Well we like to spend money but not money we ain't got
And we can balance a checkbook and let me tell you what
It's time to clean up Capitol Hill with a shovel and a pair of high heels
We've seen what the good old boys can do now it's our turn to take a shot

There'd be a lot less fussing and fighting and carrying on
There'd be a lot more loving and listening and getting along
Just look at the mess we're in heck, I'd vote for Loretta Lynn
I guarantee that we'd all be singing a different song

Mississippi

Every step of the way we walk the line your days are numbered so are mine
Time is piling up we struggle and we scrape all boxed in nowhere to escape
The city's just a jungle more games to play I'm trapped in the heart of it trying to get away
I was raised in the country been working in the town I have been in trouble since I set my suitcase down
I ain't got nothing for you I had nothing before don't even have anything for myself anymore
Sky's full of fire and the rain is pouring down there's nothing you can sell me so I'll see you around
All my powers of expression and thoughts so sublime
Could never do you justice reason or rhyme
There's only one thing that I did wrong
I stayed in Mississippi a day too long

The devil's in the alley the mule kicking in the stall say anything you wanna I've heard it all
I was thinking about the things that she said I was dreaming I was sleeping in your bed
Walking through the leaves falling from the trees feel like a stranger nobody sees
So many things we never will undo I know you're sorry, well I'm sorry too
Some people will offer you their hand and some won't last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need something strong to distract my mind I'm gonna look at you until my eyes go blind
Well I got here, following the southern star
I crossed that river just to be where you are
There's only one thing that I did wrong
I stayed in Mississippi a day too long

Well my ship's been split to splinters it is sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison got no future got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for those who've sailed with me
Everybody's moving if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere well stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now
My clothes are wet tight on my skin not as tight as the corner that I painted myself in
I know that fortune is waiting to be kind so give me your hand and say you'll be mine
The emptiness is endless cold as clay
You can always come back but you can't come back all the way
Well there's only one thing that I did wrong I stayed in Mississippi a day too long
The only thing that I did wrong was stayed in Mississippi a day too long

Be Myself

Saw my shrink today, he said I can't help you
I've been seeing you so long, but nothing has changed
You tried Adderall and alcohol, sadly the fact remains
You're terminally normal, I'm sorry to say so I shaved my head, 
I changed my name, I gave my pills away

Because if I can't be someone else
If I can't be someone else
If I can't be someone else
I might as well be myself

Hanging with the hipsters is a lot of hard work
How many selfies can you take before you look like a jerk?
I took an Uber to a juice bar to hear a new indie band play
They got 99 million followers in only one day
Well, I snapped that pic and I made the slip I got into a stranger's car
Well, the heels don't fit, I finally quit and headed back to my favorite bar

Don't you wanna be your own girl?
Don't you wanna be your own girl?
Don't you wanna be your own girl?
If I can't be someone else if I can't be someone else
If I can't be someone else if I can't be someone else
If I can't be someone else if I can't be someone else I might as well be myself
If I can't be someone else I might as well be myself gonna be myself

No comments: