Followers

Wednesday 6 October 2021

Chuck Berry Tribute EP

 Johnny B. Goode

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well
But he could play a guitar just like ringing a bell
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Johnny B. Goode!

He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
Go sit beneath the tree by the railroad track
The engineer would see him sitting in the shade
Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made
The people passing by, they would stop and say
My, but that little country boy could play
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Johnny B. Goode!

His mother told him someday you will be a man,
And you will be the leader of a big old band
Many people coming from miles around
To hear you play your music when the sun go down
Maybe someday your name will be in lights
Saying Johnny B. Goode tonight
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Go Johnny go go Johnny go!
Johnny B. Goode!

Bye Bye Johnny

She drew out all her money out of the Southern Trust
And put her little boy aboard a Greyhound bus
Leaving Louisiana for the Golden West
Down came the tears from her happiness
Her own little son name of Johnny B. Goode
Was gonna make some motion pictures out in Hollywood
Bye bye Johnny goodbye Johnny B. Goode

She remembered taking money out from gathering crop
And buying Johnny's guitar at a broker shop
As long as he would play it by the railroad side
And wouldn't get in trouble he was satisfied
But never thought that there would come a day like this
When she would have to give her son a goodbye kiss
Going, bye, bye Johnny bye bye Johnny B. Goode

She finally got the letter she was dreaming of
Johnny wrote and told her he had fell in love
As soon as he was married he would bring her back
And build a mansion for them by the railroad track
So every time they heard the locomotive roar
They'd be standing and waving in the kitchen door
Howling bye bye Johnny goodbye Johnny B. Goode

Memphis, Tennessee

Long distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee
Help me find the party trying to get in touch with me
She could not leave her number, but I know who placed the call
Because my uncle took the message and he wrote it on the wall

Help me, information, get in touch with my Marie
She's the only one who'd phone me here from Memphis, Tennessee
Her home is on the south side, high up on a ridge
Just a half a mile from the Mississippi bridge

Help me, information, more than that I cannot add
Only that I miss her and all the fun we had
But we were pulled apart because her mom did not agree
And tore apart our happy home in Memphis, Tennessee

Last time I saw Marie, she was waving me goodbye
With hurry-home drops on her cheek that trickled from her eye
Marie is only six years old, information, please
Try to put me through to her in Memphis, Tennessee

3/4 Time (Enchiladas)

I like Enchiladas, all the El Dorados that shine
Old red guitar, rock and roll nice girls and wine
Say it ain't good for me but people I'm still feeling fine
I just hold onto my guitar and rock it out 4/5 time

Sometimes I get sideways, stay up all night writing songs 
You know I know it ain't healthy but somehow I keep going on
Just sit there and write, don't care if the darn thing don't rhyme
As long as I've got my guitar, rock it out 4/5 time

You know, it's a mean old world and we all gotta live our lives we do
One thing for certain, ain't none of us gonna get away from here alive
So while I'm still kicking, I'm gonna keep picking my tunes
I love what I'm doing, I hope it don't end too soon
All of my life there's one thing I've been hoping to find
A woman like you whose software matches this hard drive of mine

You Can Never Can Tell

It was a teenage wedding, and the old folks wished them well
You could see that Pierre did truly love the mademoiselle
And now the young monsieur and madame have rung the chapel bell
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell

They furnished off an apartment with a two room Roebuck sale
The coolerator was crammed with TV dinners and ginger ale
But when Pierre found work, the little money comin' worked out well
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell

They had a hi-fi phono, boy, did they let it blast
Seven hundred little records, all rock, rhythm and jazz
But when the sun went down, the rapid tempo of the music fell
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell

They bought a souped-up jitney, 'twas a cherry red '53
They drove it down to Orleans to celebrate the anniversary
It was there that Pierre was married to the lovely mademoiselle
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell

Lady B. Goode

It was down in Louisiana right down New Orleans
Back down in the '60s with the little teen queen
Fell down a lassie, in love with a lad
Tell her come to vindicate take the feelings she had
She beated as she promised every brass she could
To everybody who's been listening to her, Lady B. Goode

She followed him around where he'll raise his guitar
Till he got so popular that made him a star
Then she could only see him on a TV screen
And hoped someday that he come back to New Orleans
Everybody liked her and was knocking on wood
But soon there came a baby from Lady B. Goode

She wanted him to rest and come back someday
The Friday lights in Cleveland just keep him away
But then he wrote and told her "Do not miss me
We'll have you look whenever he'll be betrayed
There won't be do a movie about my livelihood
And I want you to play the part of Lady B. Goode"

She went to see the movie when it hit the screen
Babysitting Johnnie Jr. down in New Orleans
So is dead and sick as he heard him in school
The one his mother told him about the golden rule
Tears shed her eyes when they misunderstood
When everybody knew that she was Lady B. Goode

No comments: