Followers

Wednesday 14 August 2019

UP CAT POLE CAT

Up cat, polecat, juniper tree,
Lying in the yard with a belly full of watermelon,
Don't pick cotton and I don't plant grass,
Out in the open sittin’ on my corn patch.

Down in Louisiana where the corn is high,
Keep a-jumpin’ up to see the gals pass by.
Down by the river where the bullrush grows
Watch the gals swimmin’ there without no hesitation

Met Mary Ellen by the old barn door.
I know just what she's a-waitin’ for.
Up in the loft where the oil lamp flickers,
I lost my heart and she lost her parasol.

Annie was kissed by the preacher's son.
She said to him: "Now what you been an' gone an' done?"
He said: "I'm at the end o’ my wits
Ever since the time I grabbed you by the currant bushes.

Down in Louisiana where the nights are gay,
The owls are trained to look the other way.
Down on the beach when the nights are black,
You'll find all the young girls lying on their best behaviour

Townsfolk come here, try to settle down.
Pretty soon it's gonna be a great big town.
We'll build a lot o’ roads an' houses an' then
They'll all have to move to the country again

No comments: