Followers

Wednesday 14 August 2019

RAILROAD MAN

They told me when I left the jailhouse:
"Now, try to go straight if you can,"
Now I'm doin' fine ‘cause I'm on a straight line,
A-workin' for the railroad man, O Lord,
A-workin' for the railroad man.

They said: "Lay tracks for the railroad,
‘Cause steam means speed and power,"
So I'm doin' my best and I'm traveling west
About fifteen feet an hour, O Lord,
About fifteen feet an hour.
I crouched all night layin’ track down,
And the wind on my back made me choke,
And I felt that the bottom had fell out of my life
Till I found that my braces had broke, O Lord,
I found that my braces had broke.

Somebody stole my hammer but I still gotta earn my bread,
And life ain't so grand when you're standing on your hands
A-drivin' in the rivets with your head, O Lord,
Driving in the rivets with your head.
There's a curve in the track up yonder I think it's the beginning of the end.
I've tried going straight, but sad to relate,
I think I'm goin round the bend, O Lord. I think I'm a-going round the bend.

No comments: