Followers

Friday 11 September 2020

Bruce Springsteen Tribute EP

Human Touch

You and me we were the pretenders we let it all slip away
In the end what you don't surrender well the world just strips away
Ain't no kindness in the face of strangers ain't gonna find no miracles here
Well you can wait on your blessings but I got a deal for you right here
I ain't looking for prayers or pity I ain't coming around searching for a crutch
I just want someone to talk to and a little of that human touch
Just a little of that human touch

Ain't no mercy on the streets of this town ain't no bread from heavenly skies
Ain't nobody drawing wine from this blood it's just you and me tonight
Tell me in a world without pity do you think what I'm asking too much?
I just want something to hold on to and a little of that human touch
Just a little of that human touch

That feeling of safety you prize well it comes with a hard hard price
You can't shut off the risk and pain without losing the love that remains
We're all riders on this train so you been broken and you been hurt
Show me somebody who ain't I know I ain't nobody's bargain
But hell a little touch up and a little paint
You might need something to hold on to when all the answers they don't amount to much
Somebody that you can just talk to and a little of that human touch
In a world without pity do you think what I'm asking too much?
I just want to feel you in my arms and share a little of that human touch

The River

I come from down in the valley where mister when you're young
They bring you up to do like your daddy done
Me and Mary we met in high school when she was just seventeen
We'd ride out of this valley down to where the fields were green
We'd go down to the river and into the river we'd dive down to the river we'd ride

Then I got Mary pregnant and that was all she wrote
And for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
We went down to the courthouse and the judge put it all to rest
No wedding day smiles no walk down the aisle no flowers no wedding dress
That night we went down to the river and into the river we'd dive down to the river we did ride

I got a job working construction for the Johnston Company
But lately there ain't been much work on account of the economy
Now all them things that seemed so important well mister they vanished right into the air
Now I just act like I don't remember Mary acts like she don't care
But I remember us riding in my brother's car her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
At night on them banks I'd lie awake and pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
Now those memories come back to haunt me they haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse
That sends me down to the river though I know the river is dry
That sends me down to the river tonight down to the river my baby and I down to the river we ride

Born In The U.S.A.

Born down in a dead man's town the first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much until you spend half your life just covering up
Born in the U.S.A. I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A. born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam so they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land to go and kill the yellow man
Born in the U.S.A. I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A. I was born in the U.S.A. born in the U.S.A.

Come back home to the refinery hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man he said "Son, don't you understand"
I had a brother at Khe Sanh fighting off the Viet Cong they're still there, he's all gone
He had a woman he loved in Saigon I got a picture of him in her arms now
Down in the shadow of the penitentiary out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go
Born in the U.S.A. I was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A. I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A. Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A. I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A

Streets Of Philadelphia

I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt I was unrecognisable to myself
I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face
Are you gonna leave me wasting away on the Streets of Philadelphia
I walked the avenue until my legs felt like stone
I heard the voices of friends vanished and gone at night I could hear the blood in my veins
Just as black and whispering as the rain on the Streets of Philadelphia

Ain't no angel gonna greet me it's just you and I my friend and my clothes don't fit me no more
I walked a thousand miles just to slip this skin
The night has fallen, I'm lying awake I can feel myself fading away
So receive me brother with your faithless kiss
Or will we leave each other alone like this on the Streets of Philadelphia

The Wrestler

Have you ever seen a one trick pony in the field so happy and free?
If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me
Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making its way down the street?
If you've ever seen a one-legged dog then you've seen me

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door
Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before
Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the floor
Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more?
Tell me can you ask for anything more?

Have you ever seen a scarecrow filled with nothing but dust and weeds?
If you've ever seen that scarecrow then you've seen me
Have you ever seen a one-armed man punching at nothing but the breeze?
If you've ever seen a one-armed man then you've seen me

These things that have comforted me, I drive away
This place that is my home I cannot stay
My only faith's in the broken bones and bruises I display
Have you ever seen a one-legged man trying to dance his way free?
If you've ever seen a one-legged man then you've seen me

Born To Run

In the day we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on Highway 9 chrome-wheeled, fuel-injected, and stepping out over the line
This town rips the bones from your back it's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run

Wendy, let me in, I wanna be your friend I wanna guard your dreams and visions
Just wrap your legs around these velvet rims and strap your hands across my engines
Together we could break this trap we'll run until we drop we'll never go back
Will you walk with me out on the wire because I'm just a scared and lonely rider
But I gotta know how it feels I wanna know if love is wild
I want to know if love is real can you show me?
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run

Beyond the Palace, hemipowered drones scream down the boulevard
Girls comb their hair in rear-view mirrors, and the boys try to look so hard
The amusement park rises bold and stark, kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
I wanna die with you, Wendy, on the streets tonight in an everlasting kiss
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight, but there's no place left to hide
Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness I'll love you with all the madness in my soul
Someday I don't know when we're gonna get to that place where we really wanna go
And we'll walk in the sun but until then tramps like us we were born to run
Tramps like us we were born to run come on, Wendy, tramps like us we were born to run
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run
We gotta get out while we're young because tramps like us we were born to run

No comments: