Followers

Sunday 20 September 2020

Rogues Gallery Album 1

Turpin Hero

On Hounslow Heath as I rode out I spied a lawyer riding about;
“Now sir,” I said, “Run all you can From Turpin that mischievous man.”
On Hounslow Heath as I rode o'er I spied a lawyer riding before.
“Kind sir,” said I, “are you afraid of Turpin, that mischievous blade?

O rare Turpin hero,
O rare Turpin O
O rare Turpin hero,
O rare Turpin O

Said Turpin, “He'd ne'er find me o'er I hid my money in my boot.”
The lawyer says, “There's none can find, I hid my gold in my cape behind.”
Says Turpin, “He'd ne'er find me out I hid my money in my boot.”
Well then says he lawyer, “There's none can find my gold, for it's stitched in my coat behind.”

As they were riding past the mill Turpin commands him to stand still;
Says he, “Your cloak I must cut off my mare she needs a saddle cloth.”
As they rode down by the Powder mill Turpin demands him to be still;
“Now Sir, your coat I will cut off for my mare she needs a new saddle cloth.”
This caused the lawyer much to fret to see how simply he'd been took,
But Turpin robbed him of his store because he knew he'd lie for more.
As Turpin rode in search of prey he spied a taxman on the way;
And boldly then he bid him stand “Your gold,” he said, “I do demand.”

Turpin then without remorse he knocked him quite from off his horse;
And left him on the ground to sprawl while he rode off with his gold and all.
As Turpin rode on Salisbury plain he met Lord Judge with all his train;
And hero-like he did approach and robbed that Judge as he sat in his coach.
Turpin he at last was took for the shooting of a dung-hill cock,
And carried straight into jail where his bad move he does bewail.
Well Turpin is condemned to die to hang upon yon gallows high;
Whose legacy is a strong rope, for the shooting of a dung-hill cock. 


The Ballad of Mary Read and Anne Bonny

Mary Read, a pretty girl, made to act a boy,
To keep her grandma’s money she’s a brotherly decoy. 
Red-haired Anne she stabbed a girl when she was just 13,
She married Bonny, took his name, but never took his scene. 
Mary joined the army as a man and fought a war, 
Proved herself in battle, took a husband from the corps. 
Anne she left her husband for a pirate of some note, 
Who thought himself the toughest man of any man afloat. 
Running away in the night; 
Looking for something to make it all right. 

Mary’s husband breathed no more and so she closed the bar, 
She boarded ship and sailed west, she sailed oh so far. 
A pirate ship did take them, so she joined up with the crew, 
Though she was “he” as far as they or any of them knew. 
Bonny found this sailor man was rather to her taste; 
So Mary had to prove herself, and rather in some haste. 
Then Captain Jack, a jealous man, had made a point to say, 
So Mary proved she’s not a man, a second time that day. 
Running away in the night; 
Looking for something to make it all right. 
Freedom under black flags, flying overhead, 
Do not let them catch you they will hang you dead. 

This pirate ship had its own flag upon a field of black, 
A pair of swords below a skull said this is Calico Jack. 
“William” was her name and true she sailed upon the seas, 
And pirating is what they did while following the breeze. 
Anne Bonny had her Captain Jack, and Jack had Bonny too, 
Mary wanted her own man, a love that might be true. 
A captured lad became that man who might make her his wife, 
Although she had to win a duel to save his meagre life. 
Running away in the night; 
Looking for something to make it all right. 

Captain Barrett, pirate hunter, hunting Captain Jack, 
One morning he did find them, and launch a quick attack. 
Jack and crew were quite surprised and hid inside the hold, 
While Read and Bonny stood their ground, that’s how the story’s told. 
Mary shot below the deck, “Come here! Fight like a man!” 
Jack looked up, saw swords and guns, and Mary next to Anne. 
But Jack and crew stayed hidden still, and begging for their lives, 
The pirate hunters took them all and took their guns and knives. 
Running away in the night; 
Looking for something to make it all right. 
Freedom under black flags, flying overhead, 
Do not let them catch you they will hang you dead. 

Jamaican court says Jack must hang, for evil pirate ways, 
While Read and Bonny plead their bellies for a legal stay. 
And Bonny said to Jack that day before he met his God, 
“If you had fought more like a man, you’d not hang like a dog.” 
Running away in the night; 
Looking for something to make it all right. 
Freedom under black flags, flying overhead, 
Do not let them catch you they will hang you dead.

 Jack Sheppard

Some years ago, perhaps a hundred, Jack Sheppard lived, the bold and free.
A smarter chap ne'er cracked a crib, sir, nor swung upon old Tyburn tree.
Now, William Woods he was Jack's master, and a carpenter by trade.
He made all sorts of wooden boxes, and Jack to him was apprentice made.

Then Jack he courted his master's daughter, but she jilted him, I must confess.
Then Jack he married two wives after, Emma Maggot and Edgeworth Bess. 
 One day Jack, being short of money, he took it in his precious head 
All for to rob his late employer after they had gone to bed. 
Now, William Woods slept very soundly, But Missus Woods did only doze, 
And when Jack Sheppard made his entry Madame Woods kicked off the clothes. 

She rose and caught Jack by the breeches, and Jack he would have gone to prison, 
But Mister Blue Skin, Jack's accomplice, Madame Woods cut through the wet sand. 
Then Jack was taken and put in prison, in irons strong he was bound down, 
But Jack he swore he'd break his fetters If they weighed a thousand pound. 

 His wife went to him in the prison, which circumstance to him did please; 
And to escape out of the window He tore the tail off her chemise. 
Now three times he was put in prison for three times he had got away. 
He being tired of escaping they hung him up on a summer's day. 

Gone To SEA To Seek His FORTUNE

Come all you brave Boys, whose Courage is bold will you venture with me, I'll glut you with Gold?
Make haste unto Corona, a Ship you will find, that's called the Fancy, will pleasure your mind.
Captain Every is in her, and calls her his own He will box her about, Boys, before he has done:
French, Spaniard and Portuguese, the Heathen likewise, He has made a War with them until that he dies.
Her Model's like Wax, and she sails like the Wind She is rigged and fitted and curiously trimmed,
And all things convenient has for his design God bless his poor Fancy, she's bound for the Mine.
Farewell, fair Plymouth, and Cat-down be damned I once was Part-owner of most of that Land;
But as I am disowned, so I'll abdicate My Person from England to attend on my Fate.

Then away from this Climate and temperate Zone, to one that's more torrid, you'll hear I am gone,
With an hundred and fifty brave Sparks of this Age who are fully resolved their Foes to engage.
These Northern Parts are not thrifty for me I'll rise the Anterhise, that some Men shall see
I am not afraid to let the World know that to the South-Seas and to Persia I'll go.
Our Names shall be blazed and spread in the Sky and many brave Places I hope to descry,
Where never a French man e'er yet has been nor any proud Dutch man can say he has seen.
My Commission is large, and I made it my self and the Capstone shall stretch it full larger by half;
It was dated in Corona, believe it, my Friend from the Year Ninety three, unto the World's end.

I Honour St. George, and his Colours I wear Good Quarters I give, but no Nation I spare,
The World must assist me with what I do want I'll give them my Bill, when my Money is scant.
Now this I do say and solemnly swear He that strikes to St. George the better shall fare;
But he that refuses, shall suddenly spy Strange Colours abroad of my Fancy to fly.
Four Chiviligies of Gold in a bloody Field environed with green, now this is my Shield;
Yet call out for Quarter, before you do see a bloody Flag out, which our Decree,
No Quarters to give, no Quarters to take we save nothing living, alas its too late;
For we are now sworn by the Bread and the Wine more serious we are than any Divine.
Now this is the Course I intend for to steer my false-hearted Nation, to you I declare,
I have done thee no wrong, thou must me forgive The Sword shall maintain me as long as I live. 

The Discovery (The Squire Turned Ferret.)

MOST true it is, I dare to say, ever since the Days of Eve, 
The weakest Woman sometimes may the wisest Man deceive. 
For Davenant circumspect, sedate a Machiavel by trade 
Arrived Express, with News of Weight, and thus, at court, he said. 
 At Godliman, hard by the Bull, a woman, long thought barren bears rabbits Gad so plentiful, 
You would take her for a warren these eyes, quoth He, beheld them clear 
What, do ye doubt my view behold this narrative that's here; why, zounds and blood it is true. 

Some said that Douglas sent should be, some talked of Walker's Merit, 
But most held, in this midwifery, no doctor like a FERRET. 
But Molyneux, who heard this told, right wary He and wise cried sagely, 
It is not safe, I hold, to trust to Davenant's Eyes. a vow to God 
He then did make He would himself go down, St. Andre too, the scale to take of that phenomenon. He ordered then his Coach and Four The Coach was quickly got them
Resolved this Secret to explore, And search it to the Bottom. 

 At Godliman they now arrive, for haste they made exceeding; 
As Courtiers should, whenever they strive to be informed of breeding. 
The good Wife to the Surgeon sent, and said to him, Good Neighbour, 
It is a pity that two squires so gent should come and lose their labour. 
The Surgeon with a rabbit came, but first in pieces cut it; 
Then slyly thrust it up that same as far as man could put it 
Ye Guildford Innkeepers take heed You dress not such a Rabbit, 
Ye Poulterers eke, destroy the breed, it is so unsavory a-Bit.

But hold! says Molly, first let's try, now that her legs are open, 
If ought within we may descry by help of Telescope. 
The Instrument himself did make, He raised and leveled right, 
But all about was so opaque, it could not aid his sight. 
 On Tiptoe then the Squire he stood but first He gave her Money
Then reached as high as ever He could, and cried, I feel a CONY. 
Is it alive? St. Andre cried It is; I feel it stir. 
Is it full grown? the Squire replied; It is; see here's the FUR.

And now two legs St. Andre got and then came two legs more;
Now fell the head to Molly's Lot and so the work was over
The Woman, thus being brought to bed said, to reward your pains,
St. Andre shall dissect the head and thou shalt have the brains.
He lapped it in a linen rag,then thanked her for her kindness;
And crammed it in the velvet bag that serves His Royal Highness
That Bag which Jenny, wanton slut first brought to foul disgrace
Stealing the papers thence she put veal-cutlets in their place.
O! happy would it be, I wean could they these Rabbits smother
Molly had never a Midwife been nor she a shameful mother
Why has the Proverb falsely said better two heads than one;
Could Molly hide this rabbit's head he still might show his own. 

JACK SHEPPARD  (A Ballad)

I'm the shadow of Jack Sheppard descending you know from the rackety times of gay long ago
I was King of the Dials and Lord of the Mint the theme of adventures that folks cannot print
I always was ready, when fun should begin to give a smart hussy a chuck underneath the chin
Or I'd rid a man neatly of gold he had piled Smart! thanks to the teaching of Jonathan Wilde

Then here's to the fame of Jack Sheppard Here's to the mad-cap boy
Burglar and pride of the ladies Their prey and their readiest toy
Idol of days when the people To the hardiest villain would bow
Dark days that are dead Do you think the world's better now?

Lord, things were different my first time on earth I'd cut capers, crack cribs, from the day of my birth
Sometimes I was collared they nabbed me in vain though they slapped me in chokey, I broke out again
It was 'Stand and Deliver' one moment same day the coin we'd bagged we were carousing away
With Edgeworth Bess helping the old love and the new it's 'a fig for tomorrow', an old toast but true. 

I'd a pride in my business, no psalm singing airs I was never a hypocrite, snivelling at prayers
I robbed no poor widows, in Christian like way smashed no Liberator and bolted away
'Twas a rollicking dare-devil period then the fairest frail women, the smartest frail men
In these days of divorce courts, such tales cause surprise You can't see vice now - that's if you shut your eyes.

Let me paint a final picture - Jack with clasped and twitching hands
At the funeral of his mother in old Willesden churchyard stands
In heart broken stupor, he scarce hears friends 'Blueskin' warning
'Fly, Jonathan Wilde's here' Then Jack sobs, 'Leave my Mother's grave not I
Let them take me.' Wild has seized him, 'till the dreadful finish wait,
I'll not struggle, for my mother's grave I will not desecrate.'
Vile thief taker, Wild mocks him, drags him off in brutal glee
'Drive on lads! Hurrah for Newgate, halfway house for Tyburn Tree 

Nix My Doll, Pals, Fake Away

In a box of the stone jug I was born, of a hempen widow the kid forlorn, Fake away. 
And my noble father, as I've heard say, was a famous merchant of capers gay, 
Nix my dolly, pals, fake away,  
Nix, my dolly, pals, fake away. 

My knuckles in quod did my school men play, and put me up to the time of day, Fake away. 
No dummy hunter had forks so fly, no knuckles deftly could fake a Ely
Nix my dolly, pals, fake away. 
Nix, my dolly, pals, fake away. 

But my nuttiest lady one fine day, to the beaks did her gentleman betray, Fake away. 
And so I was bowled out at last and into the jug for a lag was cast, Nix my dolly, pals, fake away, 
Nix, my dolly, pals, fake away. But I slipped my derbies one fine day, And gave to the dubs man a holiday. Fake away. And here I am, pals, merry and free, A regular rollicking Romany, 
Nix my dolly, pals, fake away, 
Nix, my dolly, pals, fake away. 

The Dead Horse

A poor old man came riding by And we say so, and we hope so
A poor old man came riding by And we say so, and we hope so
Poor old horse.

Says I, "Old man, your horse will die." And we say so, and we hope so
Says I, "Old man, your horse will die." And we say so, and we hope so
And if he dies we'll tan his skin And we say so, and we hope so
And if he don't we'll ride him again. And we say so, and we hope so

For one long month I rode him hard And we say so, and we hope so
For one long month we all rode him hard And we say so, and we hope so
But now your month is up, old Turk And we say so, and we hope so
Get up, you swine, and look for work And we say so, and we hope so

Get up you swine and look for graft And we say so, and we hope so
While we lays on and drags ye aft And we say so, and we hope so
He's as dead as a nail in the lamp-room door And we say so, and we hope so
And he won't come worrying us no more And we say so, and we hope so

We'll use the hair of his tail to sew our sails And we say so, and we hope so
And the iron of his shoe to make deck nails And we say so, and we hope so
We'll hoist him up to the fore yard-arm And we say so, and we hope so
Where he won't do sailors any harm And we say so, and we hope so
We'll drop him down with a long, long roll And we say so, and we hope so
Where the sharks will have his body and the Devil take his soul. And we say so, and we hope so

The Trooper and the Maid

A trooper lad came here last night, with riding he was weary,
A trooper lad came here last night, when the moon shone bright and clearly.
Bonny lassie, I'll lie near you, Hey bonny lassie, I'll lie near you,
I'll gar all your ribbons reel,Bonny lassie, ere I leave you.
She's taken his high horse by the head,She's led him to the stable,
She's given him both corn and hay As much as he was able.
Bonny lassie, I'll lie near you, Hey bonny lassie, I'll lie near you,
I'll gar all your ribbons reel,Bonny lassie, ere I leave you.

She's taken the trooper by the hand and led him to the table,
There's food and wine for a soldier here as much as he is able.
Bonny lassie, I'll lie near you, Hey bonny lassie, I'll lie near you,
I'll gar all your ribbons reel,Bonny lassie, ere I leave you.
She went upstairs to make the bed and she made it soft and easy.
She's pulled her petticoats o'er her head crying, Soldier, are you ready ?
Bonny lassie, I'll lie near you, Hey bonny lassie, I'll lie near you,
I'll gar all your ribbons reel,Bonny lassie, ere I leave you.

He's taken off his big topcoat likewise his hat and feather.
He's ta'en the broadsword from his side and now he's down beside her.
Bonny lassie, I'll lie near you, Hey bonny lassie, I'll lie near you,
I'll gar all your ribbons reel,Bonny lassie, ere I leave you.
They had not been an hour in bed an hour but and a quarter,
When the drums came beating up the town and every beat got shorter.
Bonny lassie, I must leave you now bonny lassie, I must leave you,
If ever I come this road again I will come in and see you.

She's taken her gown out o'er her arms and followed him through Stirling.
She's grown so full she could not bow and he left her in Dunfermline.
Bonny lassie, I must leave you now bonny lassie, I must leave you,
If ever I come this road again I will come in and see you.
It's when will you come back again to be your bairn's daddy ?
When cockle shells grow silver bells it's when I'll come and wed ye.
Bonny lassie, I must leave you now bonny lassie, I must leave you,
If ever I come this road again I will come in and see you.

The Girl I Left Behind Me 

I'm lonesome since I crossed the hill and o'er the moorland sedgy
Such heavy thoughts my heart do fill since parting with my Betsey
I seek for one as fair and gay but find none to remind me
How sweet the hours I passed away with the girl I left behind me.

O ne'er shall I forget the night the stars were bright above me
And gently lent their silvery light when first she vowed to love me
But now I'm bound to Brighton camp kind heaven then pray guide me
And send me safely back again to the girl I left behind me

Her golden hair in ringlets fair her eyes like diamonds shining
Her slender waist, her heavenly face that leaves my heart still pining
Ye gods above oh hear my prayer to my beauteous fair to find me
And send me safely back again to the girl I left behind me

The bee shall honey taste no more the dove become a ranger
The falling waters cease to roar ere I shall seek to change her
The vows we made to heaven above shall ever cheer and bind me
In constancy to her I love the girl I left behind me

Drink Little England Dry 

Drink, my boys, and ne'er give o'er,
Drink until you can't drink no more,
For the Frenchmen are coming for a fresh supply,
And they swear they'll drink little England dry.
For the Frenchmen are coming with a fresh supply,
And they swear they'll drink little England dry.

They may come, the frogs of France,
But we'll teach them a new-fashioned dance,
For we'll pepper their jackets most terribly,
Afore they'll drink little England dry.
For we'll pepper their jackets most  terribly,
Afore they'll drink little England dry.

They may come as they may think,
But they shall fight afore they drink,
For the guns they shall rattle and the bullets they shall fly
Afore they'll drink little England dry.
For the guns they shall rattle and the bullets they shall fly
Afore they'll drink little England dry.

Then drink, my boys, and ne'er give o'er,
Drink until you can't drink no more,
For the Frenchmen's brags are all my eye,
And they'll never drink little England dry.
For the Frenchmen's brags are all my eye,
And they'll never drink little England dry.

Down Among The Dead Men

Here's a health to the Queen and a lasting peace to faction an end, to wealth increase;
Come, let us drink it while we have breath for there's no drinking after death and he that will this health deny,
Down among the dead men down among the dead men down among the dead men let him lie.

Let charming Beauty's health go round in whom celestial joys are found and may confusion still pursue,
The senseless woman hating crew and they that woman's health deny;
Down among the dead men down among the dead men down among the dead men let him lie.

May love and wine their joys maintain and their united pleasures reign while smiling plenty crowns the land,
We'll sing the joys that both afford and they that won't with us comply,
Down among the dead men down among the dead men down among the dead men let him lie.

Ward The Pirate

Come all you gallant seamen bold all you that march to drum,
Let's go and look for Captain Ward far on the sea he roams.
He is the biggest robber that ever you did hear,
There's not been such a robber found for above this hundred year.

A ship was sailing from the east and going to the west,
Loaded with silks and satins and velvets of the best;
But meeting there with Captain Ward it was a bad meeting;
He robbed them of all their wealth and bid them tell their king.

O then the King proved a ship of noble fame,
She's called the Royal Rainbow if you would have her name;
She was as well provided for as any ship can be,
Full thirteen hundred men on board to bear her company.

'It was eight o'clock in the morning when they began to fight,
And so they did continue there till nine o'clock at night;
Fight on, fight on, says Captain Ward this sport well pleases me,
For if you fight this month or more your master I will be.

O then the gallant Rainbow, she fired she fired in vain.
Till six and thirty of her men all on the deck were slain;
Go home, go home, says Captain Ward and tell your king for me,
If he reigns king all on the land Ward will reign king on the sea. 

No comments: