Followers

Friday 3 September 2021

Alanis Morissette Tribute EP

 You Oughta Know

I want you to know, that I'm happy for you I wish nothing but the best for you both
An older version of me is she perverted like me would she go down on you in a theatre?
Does she speak eloquently and would she have your baby I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother
Because the love that you gave that we made wasn't able to make it enough for you to be open wide
And every time you speak her name does she know how you told me
You'd hold me until you died until you died, but you're still alive
And I'm here, to remind you of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You you oughta know

You seem very well, things look peaceful I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know
Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner
It was a slap in the face how quickly I was replaced and are you thinking of me when you fuck her?
Because the love that you gave that we made wasn't able to make it enough for you to be open wide
And every time you speak her name does she know how you told me
You'd hold me until you died until you died, but you're still alive
And I'm here, to remind you of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You you oughta know

Because the joke that you laid in the bed that was me
And I'm not gonna fade, as soon as you close your eyes and you know it
And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it well, can you feel it?
And I'm here, to remind you of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You you oughta know

Hand In My Pocket

I'm broke, but I'm happy I'm poor, but I'm kind I'm short, but I'm healthy
I'm high, but I'm grounded I'm sane, but I'm overwhelmed I'm lost, but I'm hopeful
And what it all comes down to is that everything's gonna be fine
Because I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is giving a high five

I feel drunk, but I'm sober I'm young and I'm underpaid I'm tired, but I'm working
I care, but I'm restless I'm here, but I'm really gone I'm wrong and I'm sorry
And what it all comes down to is that everything's gonna be quite alright
Because I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is flicking a cigarette
And what it all comes down to is that I haven't got it all figured out just yet
Because I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is giving a peace sign

I'm free, but I'm focused I'm green, but I'm wise I'm hard, but I'm friendly
I'm sad, but I'm laughing I'm brave, but I'm chicken shit I'm sick, but I'm pretty
And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
Well, I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is playing a piano
And what it all comes down to my friends is that everything is just fine
Because I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is hailing a taxi cab

Ironic

An old man turned ninety-eight he won the lottery, and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay it's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic don't you think?
It's like rain on your wedding day it's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take and who would've thought it figures

Mr. Play-It-Safe was afraid to fly he packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight and as the plane crashed down
He thought well, isn't this nice and isn't it ironic don't you think?
It's like rain on your wedding day it's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take and who would've thought it figures

Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's okay 
And everything's going right and life has a funny way of helping you out
When you think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face
It's a traffic jam when you're already late a No Smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams and then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic don't you think a little too ironic and I really do think
It's like rain on your wedding day it's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take and who would've thought it figures
And life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
And life has a funny, funny way of helping you out

Thank U

How about getting off of these antibiotics how about stopping eating when I'm full up
How about them transparent dangling carrots how about that ever elusive kudo
Thank you India thank you terror thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty thank you consequence thank you, thank you silence

How about me not blaming you for everything how about me enjoying the moment for once
How about how good it feels to finally forgive you how about grieving it all one at a time
Thank you India thank you terror thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty thank you consequence thank you, thank you silence

The moment I let go of it was the moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was the moment I touched down
How about no longer being masochistic how about remembering your divinity
How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out how about not equating death with stopping
Thank you India thank you providence thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness thank you clarity thank you, thank you silence

Head Over Feet

I had no choice but to hear you you stated your case, time and again
I thought about it you treat me like I'm a princess
I'm not used to liking that you ask how my day was
You've already won me over in spite of me and don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
And don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are I couldn't help it it's all your fault

Your love is thick and it swallowed me whole
You're so much braver than I gave you credit for that's not lip service
You've already won me over in spite of me and don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
And don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are I couldn't help it it's all your fault

You are the bearer of unconditional things
You held your breath and the door for me thanks for your patience
You're the best listener that I've ever met you're my best friend best friend with benefits
What took me so long I've never felt this healthy before I've never wanted something rational
I am aware now I am aware now
You've already won me over in spite of me and don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
And don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are I couldn't help it it's all your fault

Hands Clean

If it weren't for your maturity, none of this would have happened
If you weren't so wise beyond your years, I would've been able to control myself
If it weren't for my attention, you wouldn't have been successful and if
If it weren't for me, you would never have amounted to very much

This could be messy but you don't seem to mind 
And don't go telling everybody and overlook this supposed crime
We'll fast forward to a few years later and no one knows except the both of us
And I have honored your request for silence and you've washed your hands clean of this

You're essentially an employee and I like you having to depend on me
You're a kind of protégé, and one day, you'll say you learned all you know from me
And I know you depend on me like a young thing would to a guardian
I know you sexualize me like a young thing would, and I think I like you

What part of our history's reinvented and under rug swept?
What part of your memory is selective and tends to forget?
What with this distance it seems so obvious?
Just make sure you don't tell on me, especially to members of your family
We best keep this to ourselves and not tell any members of our inner posse
I wish I could tell the world because you're such a pretty thing when you're done up properly
I might wanna marry you one day, if you watch that weight and keep your firm body

No comments: