Followers

Sunday 10 November 2013

The Recession & The Film "Falling Down"

When the recession hit in the year 2007 albeit in a small way, I was just a young student in university, I was just like any other person out there who was trying to find a sense of purpose in their life. The following year for me would become the beginning of a dramatic turn of events that would change my whole life perspective around. Around late 2008 I was struggling mightily to get a job and this echos sentiment still today because I was in the same position five years ago. The people at the local Jobcentre were not all helpful, they were using their arrogance, ignorance and any other forms of manipulation to drag me down into the pits of a neverending nightmare and into the pits of my own mental health. I have not been the same since that time.
To me this mirrored the film "Falling Down" in which Michael Douglas plays a layed off worker who just wants to go home and be with his family, but to get there he has to incur the wrath of a modern day heart of darkness, the belly of the beast known as Los Angeles.  Now we are in 2013 and nothing has not changed since the recession, there are still corrupt politicians, lack of jobs and the worst of all there is no future for people all around the world.
I still cannot believe that in the United Kingdom, that if you have been in education for over a certain amount of time you still feel over-educated and inexperienced. It is ironic though they ask for experience in a job application even when you are freshly graduated from university. And now we go into the "Falling Down" scenario, there is a phrase in the film that has resonated with me and it still lives with me and that phrase is "Not Economically Viable" and that means to me that no matter what employment you are in and whatever trend comes in you are rendered obsolete, you are not economically viable, the short hand term would be "useless".
The setting of "Falling Down" was in the year 1991 just a year before the 1992 Los Angeles riots would come to the worlds attention and two years before its film release in 1993 in which the Branch Davidians of Waco,Texas will be at war with the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Department . I think the film "Falling Down" was the catalyst or the prophet of doom that foretold what was happening to the world and by these events, all the world could do was sit and watch for the timebomb to receive its time of detonation. If it was not for the film "Falling Down" there would be none of the Occupy movements, none of the Arab Uprisings would not have happened, so I am really glad that people are finally standing up and saying "No we dont want to be part of you and we are tired of catering and taking to your orders as your personal slaves"

No comments: