Followers

Thursday 24 October 2019

Sea Song/Shipbuilding

Sea Song

You look different every time you come from the foam-crested brine

It's your skin shining softly in the moonlight
Partly fish, partly porpoise, partly baby sperm whale
Am I yours are you mine to play with?
Joking apart, when you're drunk you're terrific when you're drunk
I like you mostly late at night you're quite alright

But I can't understand the different you in the morning
When it's time to play at being human for a while, please smile
You'll be different in the Spring, I know
You're a seasonal beast like the starfish that drift in with the tide, with the tide
So until your blood runs to meet the next full moon
Your madness fits in nicely with my own, with my own
Your lunacy fits neatly with my own, my very own we're not alone

Shipbuilding

Is it worth it a new winter coat and shoes for the wife and a bicycle on the boy's birthday.
It's just a rumor that was spread around town by the women and children, soon we'll be shipbuilding
Well I ask you the boy said 'Dad, they're going to take me to task but I'll be home by Christmas.
It's just a rumor that was spread around town somebody said that someone got filled in
For saying that people get killed in the results of their shipbuilding.

With all the will in the world diving for dear life when we could be diving for pearls.
It's just a rumor that was spread around town a telegram for a picture postcard
Within weeks they'll be reopening the shipyard and notifying the next of kin
Once again it's all we're skilled in
We will be shipbuilding with all the will in the world
Diving for dear life when we could be diving for pearls.

No comments: