Followers

Wednesday 4 January 2023

Horslips Tribute EP

 Dearg Doom

My love is colder than black marble by the sea.
My heart is older than the cold oak tree.
I am the flash of silver in the sun.
When you see me coming you had better run from Dearg Doom.
You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
By the fire of my silver Devil's Blade,
And still you dare to flaunt yourself at me
I don't want you, I don't need you,
I don't love you, can't you see I'm Dearg Doom.

And when the stars go out you can hear me shout
Two heads are better than none,
One hundred heads are so much better than one
I'm a boy who was born blind to pain
And, like a hawk, I'll swoop and swoop again.
I am the flash of Hawkeye in the sun.
When you see me coming you had better run from Dearg Doom

Furniture

Solid as a chair from an older time
You watched me slowly grow away from you
Only half understood the things I had to do
But you let me try although it brought the pain to you
You let me try

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged
If it suits the way it is there is no need to change
The best and straightest arrow is the one that will range
Out of the archers view

Badly beaten by the troubles you had to bear
You invested everything you had in me
Hoping I would hoist your flag for all to see
But I broke the things you cherished so carefully
You watched them break

You Can't Fool The Beast

You can fool the woman one of these days, you're gonna fool the man
Cos you've got the insight you can see a world of things they can't understand.
You can say you're winning you can count the score and say you know that they've lost.
But you'll end up admitting that the price is more than simply counting the cost.

They're blind already. they're blind to love, blind to pain,
Blind to hope, blind to gain. you can fool them alright but can you fool the beast?
You can fool the woman anyone can see you're gonna fool the man.
Because you've ways of knowing you can tell their pride will make them blind in the end.
And leave them blindly gazing

Warm Sweet Breath Of Love

Let me ask you this one question, was it really such a sin
To love too much, to be closer than touch when there was no way we could win
And now I hear their voices they're closing in, but before they make their final move
Take me in your arms and let me feel it one more time, the warm sweet breath of love
Take me in your arms and let me feel it one more time, the warm sweet breath of love

They've pursued us now it seems forever, they've caught up on us like time
They've followed us close down every misbegotten highway, they haunt us like our crime
And we're guilty we'll always plead guilty to all the spells they said we wove
Ah just for me weave it one more time, cast your spell of love
And take me in your arms and let me feel it one more time, the warm sweet breath of love

Let me ask you this one question, was it really such a sin
To love too much, to be closer than touch when there was no way we could win
And now I hear their voices they're closing in, but before they make their final move
Take me in your arms and let me feel it one more time, the warm sweet breath of love
Take me in your arms and let me feel it one more time, the warm sweet breath of love

More Than You Can Chew

People say you're dressed to kill you're not a girl to come on slow.
Once you get the bit between your teeth you don't feel like letting go.
But before you hit off let me say you've bit off more than you can chew.

I recall just how you laughed and you tried to make a fool of me.
How you thought you could get away without me knowing is hard to see.
Though things may look doubtful you've got yourself a mouthful more than you can chew.
You can give me back my pride and I will trade you all that's due.
Because like a spider I'm creeping back gonna spin my web all over you.
And if you take it in haste you're gonna waste you can't taste more than you can chew

Trouble With A Capital T

High on the mountain stands a boat but are they gods or real folk?
We can't see the fire but we smell the smoke.
Who'll take the plough who'll lead the yoke?
Night after night I don't believe we are the ones you won't deceive 
Not a thing will you achieve because we belong and we won't leave. 
Trouble, trouble I try to chase trouble, but it's chasing me.
Trouble, trouble trouble with a capital T. 

Lay down your silver and your gold I'm a man who can't be sold.
And, even when my heart grows cold I'll curse your evil stranglehold.
The waves are running much too high it's got so dark can't see the sky.
But a change is coming by and by a time to laugh, a time to die. 
Trouble, trouble I try to chase trouble, but it's chasing me.
Trouble, trouble trouble with a capital T 

Been so long away from home I almost made this place my own.
Now it seems I'll soon be gone moving on and all alone.
High on the mountain stands a boat but are they gods or real folk?
We can't see the fire but we smell the smoke.
Who'll take the plough? Who'll be the yoke? 
Trouble, trouble I try to chase trouble, but it's chasing me.
Trouble, trouble trouble with a capital T

No comments: