Followers

Wednesday 27 July 2022

The Jam Tribute EP

 In The City

In the city there's a thousand things I want to say to you
But whenever I approach you, you make me look a fool
I wanna say, I wanna tell you about the young ideas but you turn them into fears
In the city there's a thousand faces all shining bright
And those golden faces are under twenty five
They wanna say, they gonna tell ya about the young idea
You better listen now you've said your bit

And I know what you're thinking you're sick of that kind of crap
But you'd better listen because the kids know where it's at
In the city there's a thousand men in uniforms
And I've heard they now have the right to kill a man
We wanna say, we gonna tell ya about the young idea
And if it don't work, at least we still tried
In the city there's a thousand things I want to say to you

A Bomb In Wardour Street

Where the streets are pave with blood with cataclysmic overtones
Fear and hate linger in the air a strictly no-go deadly zone
I don't know what I'm doing here because it's not my scene at all
There's an A bomb in Wardour Street
They've called in the Army, they've called in the police

I'm stranded on the vortex floor my head's been kicked in and blood's started to pour
Through the haze I can see my girl fifteen geezers got her pinned to the door
There's an A bomb in Wardour Street, it's blown up the City
Now it's spreading through the country

Law and order takes a turn for the worst in the shape of a size 10 boot
Rape and murder throughout the land,and they tell me that you're still a free man
Well if this is freedom I don't understand cause it seems like madness to me.
A bomb in Wardour Street. Hate Bomb
A Philistine nation, of degradation and hate and war. 
There must be more it's Doctor Martin's A P O C A L Y P S E Apocalypse!

The Eton Rifles

Sup up your beer and collect your fags there's a row going on down near Slough
Get out your mat and pray to the West I'll get out mine and pray for myself
Thought you were smart when you took them on but you didn't take a peep in their artillery room
All that rugby puts hairs on your chest what chance have you got against a tie and a crest?
What a nice day for the Eton Rifles 
I hope rain stops play for the Eton Rifles

Thought you were clever when you lit the fuse,
Tore down the house of commons in your brand new shoes,
Composed a revolutionary symphony,
Then went to bed with a charming young thing
Cheers then, mate. It's the Eton Rifles
An extremist scrape with the Eton Rifles

What a catalyst you turned out to be:
Loaded the guns, then you run off home for your tea -
Left me standing like a guilty schoolboy...
What a catalyst you turned out to be:
Loaded the guns, then you run off home for your tea -
Left me standing like a naughty schoolboy...
We came out of it naturally the worst:
Beaten and bloody, and I was sick down my shirt.
We were no match for their untamed wit,
Though some of the lads said they'd be back next week.
It's the price to pay to the Eton Rifles
I'd prefer the plague to the Eton Rifles

The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow)

In your white lace and your wedding bells
You look the picture of contented new wealth
But from the on-looking fool who believed your lies
I wish this grave would open up and swallow me alive
For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows

When the wheel of fortune broke, you fell to me
Out of grey skies to change my misery
The vacant spot, your beating heart took its place
Now watch smoke leave my lips and fill an empty room
For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows
The bitterest pill is mine to take
If I took it for a hundred years, I couldn't feel any more ill

Now autumn's breeze blows summer's leaves through my life
Twisted and broken dawn, no days with sunlight
The dying spark, you left your mark on me
The promise of your kiss, but with someone else
For the bitterest pill is mine to swallow
The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows
The bitterest pill is mine to take
If I took it for a hundred years, I couldn't feel anymore ill!

That's Entertainment

A police car and a screaming siren
Pneumatic drill and ripped-up concrete
A baby wailing, a stray dog howling
The screech of brakes and lamplight blinking
That's entertainment that's entertainment
A smash of glass and the rumble of boots
An electric train and a ripped-up phone booth
Paint-splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat
Lights going out and a kick in the balls
That's entertainment that's entertainment

Days of speed and slow-time Mondays
Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday
Watching the news and not eating your tea
A freezing cold flat with damp on the walls
That's entertainment that's entertainment
Waking up at 6 A.M. on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
Watching the telly and thinking about your holidays
That's entertainment that's entertainment

Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
A hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac
Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away
That's entertainment that's entertainment
Two lovers kissing masks a scream of midnight
Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude
Getting a cab and traveling on buses
Reading the graffiti about slashed-seat affairs
That's entertainment that's entertainment

Strange Town

Found myself in a strange town though I've only been here for three weeks now
I've got blisters on my feet trying find a friend in Oxford Street
I bought an A to Z guide book trying to find the clubs and YMCAs
But when you ask in a strange town they say don't know, don't care and I've got to go, mate
They worry themselves about feeling low they worry themselves about the dreadful snow
They all ignore me because they don't know I'm really a spaceman from those UFOs

You've got to move in a straight line you've got to walk and talk in four four time
You can't be weird in a strange town you'll be betrayed by your accent and manners
You've got to wear the right clothes be careful not to pick or scratch your nose
You can't be nice in a strange town because we don't know, don't care and we got to go, man

Rush my money to the record shops I stop off in a back street buy myself a snort
We got our own manifesto be kind to queers and I'm so glad the revolution's here 
It's nice and warm now!
I've finished with clubs where the music's loud because I don't see a face in a single crowd
There's no one there I look in the mirror but I can't be seen
Just a thin, clean layer of Mister Sheen looking back at me

Found myself in a strange town though I've only been here for three weeks now
I've got blisters on my feet trying find a friend in Oxford Street
I bought an A to Z guide book trying to find the clubs and YMCAs
But when you ask in a strange town they say don't know, don't care and I've got to go, mate
They worry themselves about feeling low they worry themselves about the dreadful snow
They all ignore me because they don't know I'm really a spaceman from those UFOs
Strange town Break it up Burn it down, shake it up Break it up

No comments: