Followers

Friday 5 November 2021

Boomtown Rats Tribute EP

Looking After No.1

The world owes me a living I've waited on this dole queue too long
I've been standing in the rain for fifteen minutes that's a quarter of an hour too long.
I'll take all they can give me and then I'm gonna ask for more
Because the money's buried deep in the bank of England and I want the key to the vault
I'm gonna take your money count your loss when I'm gone.
I'm alright, Jack, I'm looking after number one.

If I want something I get it don't matter what I have to do
I'll step on your face, on your mother's grave
Never underestimate me I'm nobody's fool
I'm gonna take your money count your loss when I'm gone.
I'm alright, Jack, I'm looking after number one.

Don't wanna be like you don't wanna live like you don't wanna talk like you, at all.
Don't give me love thy neighbour don't give me charity
Don't give me peace and love or the good lord above
You only get in my way with your stupid ideas
I am an island entire of myself and when I get old, older than today
I'll never need anybody's help in any way.
I'm gonna take your money count your loss when I'm gone.
I'm alright, Jack, I'm looking after number one.
Don't wanna be like you don't wanna live like you don't wanna talk like you, at all.
I'm gonna be like ME!

I Don't Like Mondays

The silicon chip inside her head gets switched to overload
And nobody's gonna go to school today she's going to make them stay at home
And Daddy doesn't understand it he always said she was as good as gold
And he can see no reason because there are no reasons what reason do you need to be shown?
Tell me why I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoot the whole day down

The telex machine is kept so clean and it types to a waiting world
Her mother feels so shocked, father's world is rocked and their thoughts turn to their own little girl
Sweet 16 ain't that peachy keen it ain't so neat to admit defeat
They can see no reasons because there are no reasons what reason do you need
Tell me why I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoot the whole day down shoot it all down

And all the playing's stopped in the playground now she wants to play with the toys a while
And school's out early and soon we be learning and the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles and the captain tackles with the problems and the hows and whys
And he can see no reasons because there are no reasons what reason do you need to die

And the silicon chip inside her head gets switched to overload
And nobody's gonna go to school today she's going to make them stay at home
And Daddy doesn't understand it he always said she was as good as gold
And he can see no reason because there are no reasons what reason do you need to be shown?
Tell me why I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoot the whole day down

House On Fire

I heard Tarzan outside playing on the Jungle Blues
I know because I saw him shimmer in a Kenyan pool
Coming on in the vines with his leopard-skin loincloth cool
Bony Watusi fingers beating on the bark of a tree
Now Tarzan and me, well, obviously we're like that
Me and Tarzan, yeah we get on like a house on fire

Look at cool Louise she's the one with the knick-knack eyes
She's only 17 but she knows how to make boys fight
She'll slit you with her eyes and she'll slash you with her cut-back smile
She's as cruel as a pig but we love her like a house on fire
Louise and me now obviously we're like that
Me and Louise we'll make it like a house on fire

I saw a raw white angel executing loop-de-loops in the sky
Drawing lazy spirals with his slipstream smoke as he silently passed us by
But his halo got too heavy so he hung it down around his waist
Doing halo hula-hoops, executing loop-de-loops takes a lot of skill and bad taste
Now the angel and me obviously we're like that
Me and the devil we get it on like a house on fire

Someone's Looking At You

On a night like this I deserve to get kissed at least once or twice
You come over to my place screaming blue murder, needing someplace to hide.
Well, I wish you'd keep quiet imaginations run riot in these paper-thin walls.
And when the place comes ablaze with a thousand dropped names I don't know who to call.
I got a friend over there in the government block
And he knows the situation and he's taking stock,
I think I'll call him up now put him on the spot, tonight.

They saw me there in the square when I was shooting my mouth off about saving some fish.
Now could that be construed as some radical's views or some liberals' wish.
And it's so hot outside, and the air is so sweet,
And when the pressure drop is heavy I don't wanna hear you speak.
You know most killing is committed at 90 degrees.
When it's too hot to breathe and it's too hot to think.
There's always someone looking at you. someone's looking at you.
They're always looking at you tonight, they're looking at you tonight.

And I wish you'd stop whispering don't flatter yourself, nobody's listening.
Still it makes me nervous, those things you say you may as well shout it from the roof
Scream it from your lungs spit it from you mouth if it falls on deaf ears to indulge all your fears
There's a spy in the sky there's a noise on the wire
There's a tap on the line and for every paranoid's desire
There's always someone looking at you someone looking at you
They're always looking at you they're looking at you
On a night like this I deserve to get kissed at least once or twice

Never In A Million Years

I'll tear down the sky don't stop now never in a million years
I'd spit in their eye don't stop now but I won't be a volunteer

And now I'm always dreaming of dreams
That lie in state waiting for me to wake
And make a life for them I know I'll never let those self-defeating fears
Spoil those golden years these days that pass us by so slow

And now I always wander through fields that never stood 
Cannot see the trees for the wood or maybe I could
I'll tear down the sky don't stop now never in a million years

Diamond Smiles

Traffic's wild tonight Diamond smiles her cocktail smile.
Tonight she's in heavy disguise she looks at her wrist to clock the passing time.
Weather's mild tonight she wonders do they notice her eyes,
She wonders will her glamour survive and can they see she's going down a third time.
Everybody tries it's Dale Carnegie gone wild,
But Barbara Cartland's child long ago perfected the motionless glide.
In the low voltage noise, Diamond seems so sure and so poised
She shimmers for the bright young boys and laughs love is for others, but me it destroys

The girl in the cake jumped out too soon by mistake,
Somebody said the whole thing's half baked and Diamond lifts her glass and says cheers
She stands to the side there's no more to this than meets the eye,
Everybody drinks Martini dry and talks about clothes and the latest styles.
They said she did it with grace.
They said she did it with style.
They said she did it all before she died
I remember Diamond's smile

Nobody saw her go they said they should have noticed because her dress was cut so low.
Well it only goes to show how many real men any of us know.
She went up the stairs stood up on the vanity chair,
Tied her lame belt around the chandelier and went out kicking at the perfumed air.
They said she did it with grace.
They said she did it with style.
They said she did it all before she died
I remember Diamond's smile

No comments: