Followers

Friday 9 April 2021

The Faces Tribute EP

 Bad 'N' Ruin

Mother, don't you recognize your son coming home 
Because I failed you Mother I'll be there in the morning if you'll have me back
The rent up here is much too high for a room without a tap
I'll be early in the morning and I'll find my way back home
Back home bad and ruin with my tail between my legs
Tail between my legs and I'll be so tired
I'll be early tomorrow morning and I'll fall down off my plane
Don't be embarrassed mother by your ugly worn-out son your ugly worn-out son.

Mother, you won't recognize me now Mother, you won't recognize me now
Mother, you won't recognize me now and I'll be down on Cannon Street passport in my hand
Should you not recognize me I've heavily made-up my eyes
Momma, you won't recognize me now Brother, you won't recognize me now
Sister, you won't recognize me now Mother, you won't recognize me now

So mother when you've seen me don't forget I'm your boy too
I know my brother has done you proud He's one foot in the grave
Mother don't you recognize me now I'm a burglar in the first degree
But it don't seem to worry me I'll be so tired, so tired I'll be so tired, so tired

Miss Judy's Farm

Miss Judy, she was moody owned a sweaty farm in old Alabama
I was just eighteen, crude and mean all I needed was to get my own way.
Miss Judy, she could have me any hour of the working day
She'd send me in the corn field, mid-afternoon said "Son, it is all part of your job

Miss Judy had a peroxide poodle that I would kick if I was given the chance
Madam wasn't amused by the kindness I used I was whipped in the barn until dawn
Last summer we was restless we are gonna make a stand and burn down your farm
But it was all in the head because out in the yard Miss Judy had the National Guard
We was beat before we started.

Miss Judy she was moody but she always didn't get her own way
Stage a fight, get it right kick her when she's down

Pool Hall Richard

Sweating hard, I didn't get a shot all I did was stand around and get too hot
Knowing all the people walking on my side losing all my money and I'm getting tired
All the women come running like he's Getty's son makes you kind of jealous 
But it sure is fun I don't mind, but he wants my lady too
You know the crowd gets bigger as the word goes around Pool hall king was playing back in town
Minnesota Fats standing up at the back trying to hide himself in a plastic mack
You ought to hear the silence when the kid walks in his reputation is bigger than gasoline 
I don't mind but he's trying to fill my lady too

Pool Hall Richard, you're far too wicked we know
Pool Hall Richard, kid you're wicked, we know
You broke more hearts than a gigolo could ever do
You're breaking my heart but you're stealing my tart
Shut up

You broke more hearts than a gigolo could ever do
With your yellow carnation and your pink satin shoe
You make me jealous but I worship you
One day soon I'm gonna beat you clean wipe that smile right off your chin
Everybody gonna drive from miles around
Cueing up to see me take away your crown
Then you'll never never ever take my lady then

Bam goes the brown, that's another one down
Know they play much better when the sun goes down
Bang goes the green, you're so obscene your hands are dirty but your scent is clean
Bam goes the blue, lock away your cue the pool hall king is hustling you
Bam goes the 8-ball, didn't see it spin at all this kid can play
Bam goes the brown, another one down
Know they play much better when the sun goes down
Bang goes the green, you're so obscene your hands are dirty, your scent is clean
Damn the pink, one more to sink gonna beat you someday because you're making me sick
Down on the black, at the back of the pack you nearly missed, you ain't so hot

Maggie May

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurt

The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age
But that don't worry me none in my eyes you're everything
I laughed at all of your jokes my love you didn't need to coax
Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and that's a pain I can do without

All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover and what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed and in the morning kick me in the head
Maggie I couldn't have tried anymore
You lured me away from home because you didn't want to be alone
You stole my heart I couldn't leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school
Or steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band that needs a helping hand
Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face you made a first-class fool out of me
But I'm as blind as a fool can be you stole my heart but I love you anyway
Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face I'll get on back home one of these days

Flags And Banners

Last night I was woken by my cry
Had a dream just as plain as you and I
Saw the morning sun on a woodland in the spring
Still hear the echo crashing through the trees
When I saw you down I fell upon my knees

You and I we were wearing Southern Grey
I called to you but I used another name
I beat the ground and I cried out in your pain
Through a scarlet door I watched you slipping away
And your brother's helpless prayers were all in vain

Last night I was woken by my cry
Had a dream just as plain as you and I
Saw the morning sun on a woodland in the spring
Still hear the echo crashing through the trees
When I saw you down I fell upon my knees

Three Button Hand Me Down

I don't need no one's opinion on the matter concerning my dress.
I was raised in a clinic down in Oklahoma, there were many things I did not possess.
I never complained, because my father said, "Son you'll get your chance before you're my age".
Then he took me upstairs and gave me this suit written all over his face

He said, "Others may come and others may go,
But that suit will be around wherever you're going
Three button hand me down
Three button hand me down

I had my fair share of neat women, but they came between me and my suit.
That was a filly from Boston, a barmaid from Houston,
Not forgetting the one in Detroit. they said, "We like you boy and we think you're sweet,
But can't you lose your suit?"I said, "No, you can't do that to me"I remember what my father said:

I've never been a tidy dresser and the fold in my trousers it ain't straight.
Still I know a good cloth when I see one that's why I'm clad in this gray flannel suit.
Sometimes I wonder if I should visit a tailor and get myself a smooth outfit.
Then I remember what my father said to me I'll make you from the open road

No comments: