Followers

Wednesday 9 February 2022

Bob Dylan Tribute EP

 Subterranean Homesick Blues

Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement thinking about the government
The man in a trench coat badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough wants to get it paid off
Look out, kid it's something you did God knows when but you're doing it again
You better duck down the alleyway looking for a new friend
A man in a coonskin cap in a pig pen wants eleven dollar bills you only got ten.

Maggie comes fleet foot face full of black soot
Talking that the heat put plants in the bed but
The phone's tapped anyway Maggie says that many say
They must bust in early May orders from the DA
Look out, kid don't matter what you did walk on your tiptoes 
Don't tie no bows better stay away from those that carry around a fire hose
Keep a clean nose watch the plainclothes
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Get sick, get well hang around an ink well
Ring bell, hard to tell if anything is gonna sell
Try hard, get barred get back, write Braille
Get jailed, jump bail join the army, if you fail
Look out kid you're gonna get hit by losers, cheaters
Six-time users hanging around the theaters
Girl by the whirlpool is looking for a new fool
Don't follow leaders watch the parking meters.

Get born, keep warm short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schooling and they put you on the day shift
Look out kid they keep it all hid better jump down a manhole 
Light yourself a candle don't wear sandals try to avoid the scandals
Don't wanna be a bum you better chew gum
The pump don't work because the vandals took the handles

Like A Rolling Stone

Once upon a time you dressed so fine you threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
People'd call, say beware doll, you're bound to fall you thought they were all kidding you
You used to laugh about everybody that was hanging out
Now you don't talk so loud now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal
How does it feel to be without a home
Like a complete unknown like a rolling stone?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody's ever taught you how to live out on the street
And now you're gonna have to get used to it you said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes and say do you want to make a deal?
How does it feel to be on your own with no direction home
A complete unknown like a rolling stone?

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all did tricks for you you never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at after he took from you everything he could steal
How does it feel to be on your own with no direction home
A complete unknown like a rolling stone?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people they're all drinking thinking that they got it made
Exchanging all precious gifts but you'd better take your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused at Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse
When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose you're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal
How does it feel to be on your own with no direction home
Like a complete unknown like a rolling stone?

Beyond Here Lies Nothing

Well, I love you pretty baby you're the only love I've ever known
Just as long as you stay with me the whole world is my throne
Beyond here lies nothing nothing we can call our own

Well, I'm movin' after midnight down boulevards of broken cars
Don't know what I'd do without it without this love that we call ours
Beyond here lies nothing nothing but the moon and stars

Down every street there's a window and every window's made of glass
We'll keep on loving pretty baby for as long as love will last
Beyond here lies nothing but the mountains of the past

Well, my ship is in the harbor and the sails are spread
Listen to me, pretty baby lay your hand upon my head
Beyond here lies nothing nothing done and nothing' said

Desolation Row

They're selling postcards of the hanging they're painting the passports brown
The beauty parlor is filled with sailors the circus is in town
Here comes the blind commissioner they've got him in a trance
One hand is tied to the tightrope walker the other is in his pants
And the riot squad they're restless they need somewhere to go
As Lady and I look out tonight from Desolation Row.
Cinderella, she seems so easy it takes one to know one she smiles
And puts her hands in her back pockets Bette Davis style
And in comes Romeo, he's moaning You belong to Me I Believe
And someone says you're in the wrong place, my friend you'd better leave
And the only sound that's left after the ambulances go
Is Cinderella sweeping up on Desolation Row.

Now the moon is almost hidden the stars are beginning to hide
The fortune-telling lady has even taken all her things inside
All except for Cain and Abel and the hunchback of Notre Dame
Everybody is making love or else expecting rain
And the Good Samaritan, he's dressing he's getting ready for the show
He's going to the carnival tonight on Desolation Row.
Ophelia, she's underneath the window for her I feel so afraid
On her twenty-second birthday she already is an old maid
To her, death is quite romantic she wears an iron vest
Her profession's her religion her sin is her lifelessness
And though her eyes are fixed upon Noah's great rainbow
She spends her time peeking into Desolation Row.

Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood with his memories in a trunk
Passed this way an hour ago with his friend, a jealous monk
NOW, he looked so immaculately frightful as he bummed a cigarette
Then he went off sniffing drainpipes and reciting the alphabet
You would not think to look at him but he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin on Desolation Row.
Dr. Filth, he keeps his world inside of a leather cup
But all his sexless patients they ARE trying to blow it up
Now his nurse, some local loser she's in charge of the cyanide hole
And she also keeps the cards that read Have Mercy on His Soul
They all play on the penny whistle you can hear them blow
If you lean your head out far enough from Desolation Row.

Across the street they've nailed the curtains they're getting ready for the feast
The Phantom of the Opera in a perfect image of a priest
They are spoon-feeding Casanova to get him to feel more assured
Then they'll kill him with self-confidence after poisoning him with words
And the Phantom's shouting to skinny girls get outta here if you don't know
Casanova is just being punished for going to Desolation Row.
At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
Then they bring them to the factory where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders and then the kerosene
Is brought down from the castles by insurance men who go
Check to see that nobody is escaping to Desolation Row.

Praise be to Nero's Neptune The Titanic sails at dawn
Everybody's shouting which side are you on?
And Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot fighting in the captain's tower
While calypso singers laugh at them and fishermen hold flowers
Between the windows of the sea where lovely mermaids flow
And nobody has to think too much about Desolation Row.
I received your letter yesterday about the time the door knob broke
When you asked me how I was doing or was that some kind of joke?
All these people that you mention I know them, they're quite lame
I had to rearrange their faces and give them all another name
Right now I can't read too good don't send me no more letters no
Not unless you mail them from Desolation Row.

Blowing In The Wind

How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?
And how many times must the cannonballs fly before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind

And how many years can a mountain exist before it's washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free?
And how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind

And how many times must a man look up before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry?
And how many deaths will it take until he knows that too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind

Ugliest Girl In The World

Well the woman that I love she got a hook in her nose
Her eyebrows meet she wears second hand clothes
She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop
I don't know why I love her but I just can't stop.
You know I love her I love her
I'm in love with the ugliest girl in the world.

If I ever lose her I will go in sane
I go half crazy when she calls my name
When she says 'baby I love you
There ain't nothing in the world that I wouldn't do.
You know I love her I love her
I'm in love in the ugliest girl in the world.

The woman that I love she got two flat feet
Her knees knocks together walking down the street
She cracks her knuckles and she snores in bed
She ain't much to look at but like I said:
You know I love her I love her
I'm in love with the ugliest girl in the world

I don't mean to say she got nothing going
She got a weird sense of humor that is all her own
When I got low she sets me on my feet
Got a five inch smile but her breath is sweet.
You know I love her I love her
I'm in love with the ugliest girl in the world.

Well the woman that I love she got a hook in her nose
Her eye brows meet she wears second hand clothes
She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop
I don't know why I love her but I just can't stop.
You know I love her I love her
I'm in love with the ugliest girl in the world.

No comments: