Followers

Friday 13 August 2021

Billy Joel Tribute EP

 Piano Man

It's nine o'clock on a Saturday the regular crowd shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next to me making love to his tonic and gin
He says  can you play me a memory I'm not really sure how it goes
But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete when I wore a younger man's clothes
Sing us a song you're the piano man sing us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright

Now John at the bar is a friend of mine he gets me my drinks for free
And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke but there's someplace that he'd rather be
He says I believe this is killing me as a smile ran away from his face
Well, I'm sure that I could be a movie star if I could get out of this place
Now Paul is a real estate novelist who never had time for a wife
And he's talking with Davy, who's still in the Navy and probably will be for life
And the waitress is practicing politics as the businessmen slowly get stoned
They're sharing a drink they call Loneliness but it's better than drinking alone
Sing us a song you're the piano man sing us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright

It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday and the manager gives me a smile
Because he knows that it's me they've been coming to see to forget about life for a while
And the piano it sounds like a carnival and the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar and say what are you doing here?
Sing us a song you're the piano man sing us a song tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright

My Life

Got a call from an old friend we used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house bought a ticket to the West Coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.

I don't need you to worry for me because I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone
I never said you had to offer me a second chance I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong and you can speak your mind, but not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone in a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep with somebody else
But sooner or later you sleep in your own space
Either way it's OK, you wake up with yourself

Keep it to yourself it's my life.
Keep it to yourself it's my life.
Keep it to yourself it's my life.
Keep it to yourself it's my life.

It's Still Rock And Roll To Me

What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing can't you tell that your tie's too wide?
Maybe I should buy some old tab collars welcome back to the age of jive
Where have you been hiding out lately you can't dress trashy till you spend a lot of money
Everybody's talking about the new sound funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

What's the matter with the car I'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
Nowadays you can't be too sentimental your best bet's a true baby blue Continental"
Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk it's still rock and roll to me

It doesn't matter what they say in the papers because it's always been the same old scene
There's a new band in town but you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine 
Aimed at your average teen
How about a pair of pink sidewinders and a bright orange pair of pants?
You could really be a Beau Brummell baby if you just give it half a chance
Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers,
You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers
Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me

What's the matter with the crowd I'm seeing don't you know that they're out of touch?
Should I try to be a straight 'A' student if you are then you think too much
Don't you know about the new fashion all you need are looks and a whole lotta money
It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me
Everybody's talking about the new sound funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

Tell Her About It

Listen don't want to see you let a good thing
Slip away you know I don't like watching anybody make the same mistakes I made
She's a real nice girl and she's always there for you
But a nice girl wouldn't tell you what you should do
Listen I'm sure that you think you got it all under control
You don't want somebody telling you the way to stay in someone's soul
You're a big boy now you'll never let her go
But that's just the kind of thing she ought to know
Tell her about it tell her everything you feel
Give her every reason to accept that you're for real
Tell her about it tell her all your crazy dreams
Let her know you need her let her know how much she means

Listen it's not automatically a certain guarantee to insure yourself
You've got to provide communication constantly
When you love someone you're always insecure
And there's only one good way to reassure
Tell her about it let her know how much you care
When she can't be with you tell her you wish you were there
Tell her about it every day before you leave
Pay her some attention give her something to believe

Because now and then she'll get to worrying just because you haven't spoken for so long
Though you may not have done anything will that be a consolation when she's gone
Listen it's good information from a man who's made mistakes
Just a word or two that she gets from you could be the difference that it makes
She's a trusting soul she's put her trust in you
But a girl like that won't tell you what you should do
Tell her about it tell her everything you feel
Give her every reason to accept that you're for real
Tell her about it tell her all your crazy dreams
Let her know you need her let her know how much she means
Tell her about it tell her how you feel right now
Tell her about it the girl don't want to wait too long
You got to tell her about it tell her now and you won't go wrong
You got to tell her about it before it gets too late
You got to tell her about it you know the girl don't want to wait 

The Longest Time

If you said goodbye to me tonight there would still be music left to write
What else could I do I'm so inspired by you that hasn't happened for the longest time
Once I thought my innocence was gone now I know that happiness goes on
That's where you found me when you put your arms around me I haven't been there for the longest time

I'm that voice you're hearing in the hall and the greatest miracle of all
Is how I need you and how you needed me too that hasn't happened for the longest time
Maybe this won't last very long but you feel so right and I could be wrong
Maybe I've been hoping too hard but I've gone this far and it's more than I hoped for
Who knows how much further we'll go on maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone
I'll take my chances I forgot how nice romance is I haven't been there for the longest time

I had second thoughts at the start I said to myself hold on to your heart
Now I know the woman that you are you're wonderful so far and it's more than I hoped for
I don't care what consequence it brings I have been a fool for lesser things
I want you so bad I think you ought to know that I intend to hold you for the longest time

Allentown

Well we're living here in Allentown and they're closing all the factories down
Out in Bethlehem they're killing time filling out forms standing in line
Well our fathers fought the Second World War spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
Met our mothers in the USO asked them to dance
Danced with them slow and we're living here in Allentown
But the restlessness was handed down and it's getting very hard to stay

Well we're waiting here in Allentown for the Pennsylvania we never found
For the promises our teachers gave if we worked hard if we behaved
So the graduations hang on the wall but they never really helped us at all
No they never taught us what was real iron and coke and chromium steel
And we're waiting here in Allentown aut they've taken all the coal from the ground
And the union people crawled away

Every child had a pretty good shot to get at least as far as their old man got
But something happened on the way to that place they threw an American flag in our face
Well I'm living here in Allentown and it's hard to keep a good man down
But I won't be getting up today and it's getting very hard to stay
And we're living here in Allentown

No comments: