Followers

Monday 18 February 2019

Turpin Hero

On Hounslow Heath as I rode out I spied a lawyer riding about;
“Now sir,” I said, “Run all you can From Turpin that mischievous man.”
On Hounslow Heath as I rode o'er I spied a lawyer riding before.
“Kind sir,” said I, “are you afraid of Turpin, that mischievous blade?

O rare Turpin hero,
O rare Turpin O
O rare Turpin hero,
O rare Turpin O

Said Turpin, “He'd ne'er find me o'er I hid my money in my boot.”
The lawyer says, “There's none can find, I hid my gold in my cape behind.”
Says Turpin, “He'd ne'er find me out I hid my money in my boot.”
Well then says he lawyer, “There's none can find my gold, for it's stitched in my coat behind.”

As they were riding past the mill Turpin commands him to stand still;
Says he, “Your cloak I must cut off my mare she needs a saddle cloth.”
As they rode down by the Powder mill Turpin demands him to be still;
“Now Sir, your coat I will cut off for my mare she needs a new saddle cloth.”

This caused the lawyer much to fret to see how simply he'd been took,
But Turpin robbed him of his store because he knew he'd lie for more.
As Turpin rode in search of prey he spied a taxman on the way;
And boldly then he bid him stand “Your gold,” he said, “I do demand.”

Turpin then without remorse he knocked him quite from off his horse;
And left him on the ground to sprawl while he rode off with his gold and all.
As Turpin rode on Salisbury plain he met Lord Judge with all his train;
And hero-like he did approach and robbed that Judge as he sat in his coach.

Turpin he at last was took for the shooting of a dung-hill cock,
And carried straight into jail where his bad move he does bewail.
Well Turpin is condemned to die to hang upon yon gallows high;
Whose legacy is a strong rope, for the shooting of a dung-hill cock.

No comments: